A weekend away to deepen our peace of mind…
Until we realize the very special wisdom that realizes that things do not exist in the way they appear, and that these things have no meaning until we impose a meaning upon them, we will continue to make mistakes; cause problems for ourself and others; remain trapped in Samsara; not find the happiness and peace we long for; and fail to make our human life meaningful.
If, however we gain the wisdom that realizes the emptiness of all phenomena including the self, we will easily find peace and happiness; make progress on the path to enlightenment; solve all our human problems; bring happiness to everyone we meet or think about; and find the real meaning of our human life.
In this short weekend away retreat, Gen Tilopa will give teachings and guide meditations from the text “The New Heart of Wisdom” by Ven. Geshe Kelsang Gyatso Rinpoche. This text is a commentary on the essence of Buddha’s teachings on the perfection of wisdom. If we take the meaning of this text to heart we will definitely improve our life, begin to solve all our human problems, and bring benefit to those close to us and to those we care about.
We will observe silence each day from the beginning of the morning until lunchtime, to allow time for reflection and contemplation.
The weekend is suitable for all levels of experience with meditation or Buddha’s teachings.
Gen Kelsang Tilopa is a Buddhist monk and Resident Teacher for Kadampa Meditation Center North Carolina. He has taught meditation in the US Southeast for over 20 years and is well-loved for his humorous yet clear and profound teachings, in addition to the great care he skillfully and compassionately gives to his students.
Mount Shepherd Retreat Center
1045 Mount Shepherd Road Ext.Asheboro, NC 27205
Located in the Uwharrie National Forest, Mt. Shepherd is nestled in a beautiful woodland area which includes a pond and several miles of hiking trails. There are several scenic overlooking areas within walking distance perfect for quiet contemplation.
This retreat will take place in Mt. Shepherd’s Cottage. Turn right and follow signs to “Bethlehem Cottage”
Introduction starts at 7:30PM Friday Sept 28th and silence will be observed each morning until lunch.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Meals? Vegetarian, 3 meals Saturday and 2 meals on Sunday. Please eat before arriving on Friday night.
- Weather? be prepared for anything, although it should be safe to leave the snow gear at home!
- What to wear? Comfortable clothes as there will be lengthy meditations. Please bring clothing appropriate for late-summer to early-fall weather. If you plan to go hiking outside, trail walking gear recommended, including long pants and deet-free bug spray.
- Mats/cushions/chairs? The Center will supply these. If you want your own, feel free to bring your own cushion/mat. Chairs will also be available.
- Food? We will provide a bounty of food throughout the weekend, but if you have special dietary restrictions or your favorite snacks, there will be a personal fridge for us to use. Feel free to bring your own snacks. If you have food allergies, please let us know.
- Books? You can purchase a copy of The New Heart of Wisdom at our retreat bookstore or purchased online at Tharpa.com
- Cell Phones/Computers? Leave them locked in the car or at home. Emergency phone use is of course ok, but if you don’t need it, enjoy the peace & quiet time!
- Cancellations? Please use the Questions section below in the event this occurs and a refund is requested prior to the start of the event. An administrative fee of $30 will be retained from any refunds. The pre-paid funds could also considered a donation to the center and a receipt for your records can be issued if needed.
- Accommodations? Unless noted otherwise, retreat participants will stay in shared indoor dormitories. There is also camping available – please note in your registration notes if you prefer to camp – please bring your own tent! There are also hotels and airbnb’s located in the nearby town of Asheboro.
Have another question? Email us at email@example.com
There are a limited number of spaces available for this retreat: first come, first served.
The retreat fee ($200) includes all 7 retreat sessions, meals and accommodation. Please bring linens or a sleeping bag and a towel.
Update – Sept 13, 2018: Male and female indoor accommodations are SOLD OUT. Email Jamison at firstname.lastname@example.org to get on the waiting list for indoor accommodations. Camping is available for both male and female – please bring your own tent and sleeping bag/pillow. In addition, there are hotels and Airbnb’s available in the nearby town of Asheboro.
Pre-Registration is required – please click below and choose a registration option.