Option I: General Program
The General Program of meditation and mindfulness are teachings tailored for anyone interested in learning about the Buddhist way of meditating and learning how to live happily with life’s opportunities and challenges. The purpose is to help anyone find their own inner peace and happiness in everyday life which will positively affect others. Each class provides an introduction to Buddhist philosophy and meditation. Classes are held on Tuesday evenings from 7:00 – 8:15 pm and are on a drop-in basis. You do not need to sign up for the whole course or a sub-series. Walk-ins are welcome!
The cost is $10 per class for adults and $5 per class for students and seniors.
Option II: Foundation Program
The Foundation Program (FP) provides an opportunity to deepen your understanding and experience of Buddha’s teachings and making progress on your inner spiritual journey. The Program involves a study of six essential subjects of Mahayana Buddhism based on commentaries and texts written by Venerable Geshe Kelsang Gyatso, Founder of the New Kadampa Tradition. Classes are held on Sunday evenings from 5:00pm-8:00pm at the Center. The texts are available in the bookstore at the Center for convenience or may be purchased through Tharpa Publications.
- Students enroll for one subject at a time; a minimum 12 month commitment.
- Commit to attend all the classes.
- Learn the condensed meaning and root text of the subject.
- Sit for a written examination; and
- Attend at least one puja per week.
- Members of the FP program are encouraged to be present at the Center’s events and special teachings as volunteers of the Vajradhara Center. This helps with sharing the teachings and the blessings received from the classes, and generating merit that is the cause of receiving and giving more teachings in the future.
To enroll, please contact Gen Kelsang Tilopa at FP@meditationcharlotte.org.
- Preparatory prayers, Essence of Good Fortune
- First Meditation
- First Oral Transmission
- First Discussion
- Enjoy Tea with a Meditation Break
- Second Meditation
- Second Oral Transmission
- Second Discussion
- Closing Prayers with Dedication
- Meditation Break with homework studies and meditation practice
“We shall experience the beneficial results of studying on this Program for life after life until we reach enlightenment. The benefits are inexhaustible.” – Geshe Kelsang Gyatso
Option III: Teacher Training Program
The Teacher Training Program is designed for people with experience of study on the Foundation Program who wish to train as authentic Dharma Teachers. In addition to completing the study of twelve texts of Sutra and Tantra, which include the six texts mentioned above, the student is required to observe certain commitments with regard to behavior and way of life, and to complete a number of meditation retreats. Discuss directly with Gen Tilopa if you are interested in this program.